Time Commitment: 5+ hours a week
Minimum Tenure: 2 years
Maximum Tenure: 6 years
Minimum Member Status: Any membership level
The Secretary is responsible for the documentation and general administration associated with the successful operation and support of AIGA Portland in its chapter mission. The Secretary is also responsible for the onboarding of new board members annually or in one-off situations.
The Secretary is supported by and works closely with the President, Vice President, and Treasurer on the Executive Committee.
The Secretary is responsible for:
- Attend monthly Executive Committee meetings to help plan board meeting agendas
- Coordinate and plan mandatory board events with the Executive Committee, such as chapter retreats, appreciation, and holiday parties
- Establish and police best practices in chapter’s overall asset management
- Providing a strategic vision of chapter mission, goals, and execution
- Hold Board Directors accountable for posting monthly status reports before board meetings
- Record minutes from every board meeting and post within 24 hours to reference
- Maintaining and organizing corporate documents, contracts, and legal papers
- Maintain an active list of Board Directors’ info, birthdays, and contact information
- Facilitate technology onboarding sessions for new Board Directors
- Update orientation packet for new Board Directors
- Set-up and maintain Board Directors’ email and Basecamp accounts
- Facilitate open and frequent communication with the board as needed
- Maintain and organize important information and links via Basecamp
- Track inventory of chapters storage items and office supplies
Desired skills, traits & experience
- Detail-oriented and extremely organized
- General business management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated and independent
- Desire to make a difference and contribute to something bigger than yourself
- Have a creative or business network to rely on for support and networking
You need to know how to use most of the following programs
- Adobe CC, Basecamp 3, Eventbrite, G Suite, Slack, and WordPress
Shared Responsibilities of the Board
- Attend mandatory internal events, monthly board meetings, and retreats
- Show up and represent at AIGA Portland events (we suggest attending as many as your schedule allows)
- Proper personal time-management in order to complete the responsibilities outlined in this job description
- Ensure sponsors and partners are treated well and represented at events and online content
- Demonstrate understanding and proper-use of AIGA brand guidelines
- Actively engage in communications and meetings with representatives from other creative groups, firms, businesses, or other like-minded organizations that will create sponsorships and partnerships with AIGA Portland
- Be able to properly speak about what AIGA is and promote AIGA membership
- Actively document processes and resources to handoff and onboard the next director in this position
- Must properly represent the chapter and adhere to the AIGA Standards of Professional Practice
What You Get as a Board Director
- An official AIGA Portland email
- Access to AIGA resources, connections, and volunteers
- Free attendance at AIGA Portland events
- A seat at the table and voting rights during monthly board meetings
Application Icebreaker Question
- What is your favorite method to keep organized?
- An official Board Director is committed to serving a minimum of a two–year term. Board Directors are encouraged to continue serving additional terms once their initial two–year term ends. An individual cannot serve more than three consecutive terms (a maximum of six years) on the board.
- You are responsible for organizing and updating your process, contact lists, and work. These will become resources that you will use to onboard the incoming director prior to vacating the position.
Apply today! Fill out the application by clicking below and specify this is the position you are interested in. Once you submit your application, expect to hear back via email about next steps.
Do you have questions about this position and would like to speak with a current board member before applying? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
AIGA Portland whole-heartedly embraces diversity and equal opportunity within our organization. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Please contact us if you require specific accommodations and we would be happy to help.