Time Commitment: 5 – 15 hours / week
Minimum Tenure: 2 years
Maximum Tenure: 6 years
Minimum Member Status: Any membership level
The Content Director oversees the development and implementation of AIGA Portland content, strategies, and the communications to support our members, AIGA Portland events and overall communications. Ensure content communications are in alignment with AIGA National and AIGA Portland’s missions and goals. Work to present a clear, unified voice that is consistent with AIGA National ethics and communication guidelines. Maintain the sophistication and respect of AIGA Portland as it communicates with its audience.
The Content Director works closely with ALL DIRECTORS to ensure content is part of each Director’s strategy for execution.
- Define the Strategy of the AIGA Portland Website, Blog, and Social Media
- Define and maintain processes and tools for creating content for the AIGA Portland
- Maintain the Content Delivery Process
- Create and manage the social media calendar for the promotion of AIGA Portland content – blog posts and web pages; in addition to AIGA National initiatives.
- Create and manage the editorial calendar as it relates to AIGA Portland content – blog posts and web pages; in addition to AIGA National initiatives.
- Approve, edit, and adjust the AIGA Portland website and blog content as needed and according to the AIGA style guide.
- Develop and maintain a Director’s handbook with pertinent information to handoff at the end of tenure to incoming Director
- Report engagement stats on website and social media at the monthly board meeting.
- Enlist and manage a Blog Chair to oversee the Blog throughout the Content Delivery Process.
- Enlist and manage a Social Media Chair to oversee all social media channels for the promotion and delivery of Content on social media channels.
- Enlist and manage a Copy Editing Chair to oversee the execution of a consistent voice and writing style within the blog and other areas of the website.
- Maintain working operation of the portland.aiga.org website and upgrade as necessary
- Update this job description before rolling off the board
Recommended Committee Chairs
These are non-board members/volunteers (serving for one to two years) that we recommend you manage in order to be successful in the position.
- Blog Chair
- Social Media Chair
- Copy Editing Chair
- Photography Chair
- Newsletter Chair
Desired skills, traits & experience
- Experience in developing and executing content and strategies to build engagement.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-motivated and independent.
- Ability to recruit and lead a team of volunteers to generate and execute content strategies.
- Ability to take high-level goals and values and apply them to not so distinct role direction.
- Want to make a difference and contribute to something bigger than yourself.
- Adobe Creative Suite / / WordPress / / Eventbrite / / Basecamp / / Google Docs / / Flickr
Nice to have, but not necessary.
- Have a business or creative network.
You need to know how to use most of the following programs
(or find a committee chair who does!)
- Adobe CC, Basecamp 3, Eventbrite, G Suite, Slack, and WordPress
Shared Responsibilities of the Board
- Attend mandatory internal events, monthly board meetings, and retreats
- Show up and represent at AIGA Portland events (we suggest attending as many as your schedule allows)
- Proper personal time-management in order to complete the responsibilities outlined in this job description
- Ensure sponsors and partners are treated well and represented at events and online content
- Demonstrate understanding and proper-use of AIGA brand guidelines
- Actively engage in communications and meetings with representatives from other creative groups, firms, businesses, or other like-minded organizations that will create sponsorships and partnerships with AIGA Portland
- Be able to properly speak about what AIGA is and promote AIGA membership
- Actively document processes and resources to handoff and onboard the next director in this position
- Must properly represent the chapter and adhere to the AIGA Standards of Professional Practice
What You Get as a Board Director
- An official AIGA Portland email
- Access to AIGA resources, connections, and volunteers
- Free attendance at AIGA Portland events
- A seat at the table and voting rights during monthly board meetings
- An official Board Director is committed to serving a minimum of a two–year term. Board Directors are encouraged to continue serving additional terms once their initial two–year term ends. An individual can not serve more than three consecutive terms (a maximum of six years) on the board.
- You are responsible for organizing and updating your process, contact lists, and work. These will become resources that you will use to onboard the incoming director prior to vacating the position.
Application Icebreaker Question
- When creative energy is running low, what do you turn to for inspiration?
Apply today! Fill out the application by clicking below and specify this is the position you are interested in. Once you submit your application, expect to hear back via email about next steps.
Do you have questions about this position and would like to speak with a current board member before applying? Email email@example.com
AIGA Portland whole-heartedly embraces diversity and equal opportunity within our organization. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Please contact us if you require specific accommodations and we would be happy to help.