Time Commitment: 5 – 15 hours / week
Minimum Tenure: 2 years
Maximum Tenure: 6 years
Minimum Member Status: Any membership level
The Content Director serves as the chapter’s creative director and oversees creative production of AIGA Portland’s branded content including art and copy. They ensure all the content produced is in alignment with AIGA National and AIGA Portland’s missions and goals. They work to present a clear, unified look and voice that is consistent with AIGA National ethics and communication guidelines. They maintain the sophistication and respect of AIGA Portland as it communicates with its audience.
The Content Director works closely with THE PROMOTIONS DIRECTOR AND TEAM to ensure content is aligned with promotional strategies and timelines.
- Work with relevant directors to define the look and feel of the AIGA Portland Website, Blog, and Social Media
- Define and maintain processes and tools for creating content for the AIGA Portland
- Maintain the content delivery process
- Approve or provide feedback on AIGA Portland content produced by other directors/creators as needed to follow the AIGA style guide.
- Develop and maintain a Director’s handbook with pertinent information to handoff at the end of tenure to incoming Director
- Enlist, manage, and mentor volunteer designers, writers, and other content creators
Recommended Content Committee Chairs
These are non-board members/volunteers (serving for one to two years) that we recommend you manage in order to be successful in the position.
- Design Chair
- Copywriting Chair
- Photography Chair
- Video Chair
Desired skills, traits & experience
- Experience in developing and executing branded content
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated and collaborative
- Ability to recruit and lead a team of volunteers to create content
- Want to make a difference and contribute to something bigger than yourself.
- Must have strong skills in: Adobe Creative Suite
Nice to have, but not necessary.
- Experience in WordPress, Eventbrite, Basecamp, Google Docs, Airtable
- Have a business or creative network.
You need to know how to use most of the following program
(or find a committee chair who does!)
- Adobe CC, Basecamp 3, Eventbrite, G Suite, Slack, and WordPress
Shared Responsibilities of the Board
- Attend mandatory internal events, monthly board meetings, and retreats
- Show up and represent at AIGA Portland events (we suggest attending as many as your schedule allows)
- Proper personal time-management in order to complete the responsibilities outlined in this job description
- Ensure sponsors and partners are treated well and represented at events and online content
- Demonstrate understanding and proper-use of AIGA brand guidelines
- Actively engage in communications and meetings with representatives from other creative groups, firms, businesses, or other like-minded organizations that will create sponsorships and partnerships with AIGA Portland
- Be able to speak about what AIGA is and promote AIGA membership
- Actively document processes and resources to handoff and onboard the next director in this position
- Must properly represent the chapter and adhere to the AIGA Standards of Professional Practice
What You Get as a Board Director
- An official AIGA Portland email
- Access to AIGA resources, connections, and volunteers
- Free attendance at AIGA Portland events
- A seat at the table and voting rights during monthly board meetings
- An official Board Director is committed to serving a minimum of a two–year term. Board Directors are encouraged to continue serving additional terms once their initial two–year term ends. An individual can not serve more than three consecutive terms (a maximum of six years) on the board.
- You are responsible for organizing and updating your process, contact lists, and work. These will become resources that you will use to onboard the incoming director prior to vacating the position.
Application Icebreaker Question
- When creative energy is running low, what do you turn to for inspiration?
Apply today! Fill out the application by clicking below and specify this is the position you are interested in. Once you submit your application, expect to hear back via email about next steps.
Do you have questions about this position and would like to speak with a current board member before applying? Email email@example.com
AIGA Portland whole-heartedly embraces diversity and equal opportunity within our organization. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Please contact us if you require specific accommodations and we would be happy to help.