Time Commitment: 5+ hours a week
Minimum Tenure: 2 years
Maximum Tenure: 6 years
Minimum Member Status: Any membership level
The Operations Director is responsible for ensuring our board is working together effectively, positively, and confidently. The Operations Director helps evaluate and create working processes for our board, as well as maintain useful resources and documentation to guide and support AIGA Portland in its chapter mission. The Operations Director is also responsible for assisting in the onboarding of new board members and chairpersons, and ensuring they have access to the tools and technology they need to perform their roles.
The Operations director is supported by and works closely with the President, Vice President, and Treasurer on the Executive Committee. This role also functions as our organization’s official Secretary, and is responsible for recording our official meeting minutes at all board meetings.
The Operations Director is responsible for:
- Creating and executing a strategic plan for how our chapter can most effectively and positively work together in achieving our mission and goals
- Coordinate and plan important board events with the Executive Committee, such as strategic planning and working sessions
- Attend monthly Executive Committee meetings and help plan board meeting agendas
- Record minutes from every board meeting and post immediately following the meeting
- Establish a plan for and support our board in our chapter’s overall asset management
- Maintain and organize corporate documents, contracts, and legal papers
- Set-up and maintain Board Directors’ email and Basecamp accounts
- Assist in updating the orientation packet for new Board Directors
- Facilitate onboarding sessions for new Board Directors
- Track inventory of chapters storage items and office supplies
- Facilitate open and frequent communication with the board as needed
Desired skills, traits & experience
- Detail-oriented and organized
- General business management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated and independent
- Desire to make a difference and contribute to Oregon’s creative community
Knowledge of or willingness to learn the following programs
- Required: Basecamp, Google Suite, Slack
- Nice-to-have: Eventbrite, WordPress, Airtable
Shared Responsibilities of the Board
- Attend mandatory internal events, monthly board meetings, and retreats
- Commitment to working towards being an equitable and inclusive organization
- Review proposals for board spending and vote in the best interest of our shared mission and community goals
- Show up and represent at AIGA Portland events (we suggest attending as many as your schedule allows)
- Proper personal time-management in order to complete the responsibilities outlined in this job description
- Positively represent AIGA Portland in communications and meetings with representatives from other creative groups, firms, businesses, or other like-minded organizations
- Actively document processes and resources to handoff and onboard the next director in this position
- Must know and adhere to the AIGA Standards of Professional Practice
What You Get as a Board Director
- An official AIGA Portland email
- Access to AIGA resources, connections, and volunteers
- Free attendance at AIGA Portland events
- A seat at the table and voting rights during monthly board meetings
Application Icebreaker Question
- Who is your favorite musician/band?
- What is your favorite method to keep organized?
- An official Board Director is committed to serving a minimum of a two–year term. Board Directors are encouraged to continue serving additional terms once their initial two–year term ends. An individual cannot serve more than three consecutive terms (a maximum of six years) on the board.
- You are responsible for organizing and updating your process, contact lists, and work. These will become resources that you will use to onboard the incoming director prior to vacating the position.
Apply today! Fill out the application by clicking below and specify this is the position you are interested in. Once you submit your application, expect to hear back via email about next steps.
Do you have questions about this position and would like to speak with a current board member before applying? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
AIGA Portland whole-heartedly embraces diversity and equal opportunity within our organization. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Please contact us if you require specific accommodations and we would be happy to help.